I want to hear your ebooks fears.
I have this belief -- rightly or wrongly -- that saying what you're afraid of will help.
(I'm also thinking that it might help us generate some posts that may address specific things you're thinking about.)
So here are rules to this post: You can only state your fears. Please don't fix other people. Or propose solutions. Or, in general, minimize a fear. Let's just put them out there.
And let's agree to this: Some fears have some basis in fact and others are just fear. But both feel just as real.
Here are mine:
I'm afraid for things I love. I'm afraid...
- that bookstores are going to disappear,
- with browsing through stacks of books, the smell of books, the different colored spines of varying thicknesses and trying to gauge my mood and choosing a book.
- and libraries (with their stacks of books -- see above)
- and review journals (which I desperately want to exist, which I recognize as important, but which I don't want to read because they distract me from writing stories)
- that wonderful editors will be replaced by media specialists.
As for myself as an author, I'm afraid...
- that I won't be able to write for the new media. (Whatever it is...like maybe scrolling text across sunglasses that you wear while driving -- oh who knows?!? But it will leave me without a clue.)
- that I won't have the technology skills to be able to do this.
- that I'll never be able to escape social media and that my ability to concentrate will be permanently damaged.
- that if I choose to epublish an out-of-print title I'll make some super dumb mistakes and the book will look stupid. People-laughing-at-me-for-the-rest-of-my-life-and-put-it-on-my-tombstone stupid.
- that somehow digital piracy will take off (or some such thing) and there will never ever NEVER be a way for me to make a living as a writer ever again.
- that I will miss out on this ONE opportunity. Another will never come again. Not ever.
- that I'm going to have to start dressing up in costume, learn to play ukulele really well, and tap dance in order to be a writer in this new world. I'll be pawning my books on the train platforms, etc.
- that I'll get sick of the whole thing, and will move to Plan B: Build own log cabin, no phone lines, no internet, but with a cow, a goat, a bunch of chickens and a German Shepherd. (Woodswoman, here I come!)
What are your fears? Tell all! (Remember, no fixing my fears or anybody elses!)